Trapped in the nature preserve
Oct. 7th, 2026 11:11 pmYesterday I was at the nature preserve as it was being closed for the season. I was on my way out when I saw first a crew and their truck, then the far end of the mini-bridge sitting in the creek. I was confused. Another walker had just passed me going in the opposite direction, so I'd assumed that she'd crossed that bridge to get into the preserve. To see the bridge half-dismantled just a few minutes later was strange.
I asked what had happened, thinking the bridge had collapsed or some other problem had transpired. One of the crew said they were closing the park for the season. But I needed to get across the bridge to get home. The guy asked me whether I was parked across the creek. People always assume everyone has cars and smartphones in this society. As far as I knew, there are three entrances to the nature preserve, and the other two led to highways, so there seemed to be no way for me to get out. Then I remembered that I'd found another way out while exploring perhaps a year ago, a non-entrance through a break in the trees alongside one of the paths that required a bit of climbing. So I turned and went in that direction. I didn't remember exactly where it was but I knew I'd know it when I came across it. I actually found yet another path, one that seemed newly built, with a rickety bridge that led to a gate with no entrance, so I had to turn around and follow this path in the other direction. I never found the path I'd originally been searching for.
I wasn't able to finish all my grocery shopping today, so I'll have to go out of town again tomorrow. These multi-day shopping trips are so tiring. There was no vegan pizza at the discount grocery store again, but I did get some tasty vegan donut holes and a mini-baguette.
I tried to take a nap about an hour after getting back home but of course I couldn't fall asleep. Frustrated, I eventually got up and went for a walk. So I got my daily walk in after all. I felt really good about that because I had eaten too much.
I think it's the hotflashes preventing me from sleeping now. I'm taking my melatonin and my magnesium and my iron (although my feet still do feel chilly...hmm maybe it's still the anemia). I've been taking more and more liquid iron each night, still get chilly feet. It's ridiculous.