disappointed_lesbian: (Default)
[personal profile] disappointed_lesbian

The water machine has been returning less change. I thought it was broken. Turns out the price of a gallon of filtered water has increased by another ten cents. The price is now double what it was when I moved here five years ago.

This is a problem because I go through close to a gallon of water per day. That's twenty-one dollars per month for water.

I downloaded exo's new album, revere, song-by-song from invidious today. I was so excited. Most of the songs aren't that great, though. I guess they're fairly good for pop music. One or two are quite beautiful. But I don't really even like pop music, especially not rapping. Thinking about that made me depressed. Kpop is kind of a stupid hobby.

Once I got down the basics of Korean, I was going to start improving my listening skills by watching kpop reality tv. I don't know what it's called. Kpop groups upload videos of their day-to-day lives on youtube and they speak korean in the videos. I looked at exo's reality tv channel and was creeped out. Not by any of the content there, but by the prospect of following the daily lives of celebrities like this. There's something warped and toxic about it. It's like a way to create fake intimacy with fans, a way to get us hooked. We shouldn't really even be interested in the random shit they are doing day-to-day. It's parasocial.

I don't want to get pulled into a kpop obsession. I don't even think I'd reach the level of obsession, but I'd create a hole in myself, a nagging sense of unfulfilledness, if I started spending a lot of time watching the members of this group. Because at least one of them is too attractive. And I guess I need to be reminded less often that I'm single. And sometimes when you see more of people, you start to find them less attractive and wish you hadn't gotten to know them more, wish your view of them hadn't been sullied. But perhaps that's unlikely to happen because I will understand hardly any of what they say in the videos.

Nevertheless, watching people like this should be an occasional treat, like birthday cake. Actually I would end up spending weeks on a single video because my Korean would be so elementary, so I wouldn't actually see much of them, just the same video over and over again until I was ready to progress to the next video.

I don't even know how it's legal for people to upload full albums to youtube.

post-mood:hungry

Page generated Oct. 16th, 2026 08:42 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios